This week on February 25, my big boy turned 3! This day sort of snuck up on us and we had his birthday party the weekend beforehand. This year, we decided to have it at a bouncy house per his request and for once, we didn’t have to clean up afterwards That was a big plus being 29w pregnant!
The night before his party, I stayed up late so I could bake him a special cake from scratch…a 3 layer yellow cake (it had 8 egg yolks in it) and strawberry swiss meringue buttercream frosting. I put sprinkles on the side and wrote a simple “Happy 3rd Birthday, Caleb” on it. The entire cake had 10 sticks of butter! I also made him a shirt since the one I had ordered from Etsy didn’t arrive on time. I sent Steve scrambling for materials at Walmart at 9pm, but it all worked out in the end.
He had so much fun at his party! We had about 12 kids there and it was nice because we had the bouncy house place to ourselves (no crazy kids plowing over the little ones) and they could run around and explore everything. After 30 minutes, we moved into a second room with more bouncy options. When the full hour was up, I tried to get a group photo, but Caleb refused to smile because he was sad the bouncing was over.
Then, it was time for food and cake! I ordered cupcakes for the kids, but Caleb didn’t want any–he wanted my strawberry cake!! It melted my heart We had pizza and a fruit platter for the kids and pizza, baked ziti and salad for the adults. The cake was a big hit (yay for butter) and there was nothing left at the end of the party.
On Tuesday was his actual birthday so when he woke up, I sang “happy birthday” to him. I made him some birthday pancakes (inspired by another March mama, Rebecca, where she posts a recipe and shares pics of her cuties). I didn’t have yellow cake mix nor Bisquick on hand so I was Googling to see if there was something I could make with the items I already had at home. It was snowing so I didn’t really want to head out to the store, but I used this recipe and it was great.
So, next we got cleaned up and I set up an area for Caleb’s 3 year interview where there are 20 questions that he answers and the idea is to ask the same questions every year. I’ve watched this video so many times because it’s just so funny! His answers, his tangents, his mannerisms (how he crosses his legs, tapping his chin while thinking), I love it so much!
2. What is your favorite toy? dinosaurs
3. What is your favorite fruit? cantaloupe, pineapple, bread (ha), watermelon
4. What is your favorite tv show? Team Umizoomi
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch? noodles, broccoli & chicken
6. What is your favorite outfit? shirt, pants, underwear
7. What is your favorite game? hide & seek
8. What is your favorite snack? fruit leather
9. What is your favorite animal? cow & pinkfoot (from Bubble Guppies I think)
10. What is your favorite song? ABCs
11. What is your favorite book? Frederick
12. Who is your best friend? Aidan & Aaron Patrick
13. What is your favorite cereal? banana (banana Cheerios) & elephant cereal (Wegman’s organic frosted flakes)
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside? play in the snow and throw snowballs at Daddy’s face
15. What is your favorite drink? water, milk & lemonade
16. What is your favorite holiday? I don’t know
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night? brown doggy
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast? marshmallows (?? LOL)
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday? cake
20. What do you want to be when you grow up? a doctor
And then I snapped a few photos because that’s just what I do!
He’s such a little person with so much personality! I love the things that come out of his mouth now. Just the other day, I told him he talked too much and he retorted with, “No, I don’t. You talk too much. You always say ‘blah blah blah'”. It took me back and Steve just laughed his butt off.
Caleb’s currently in a parents day out program once a week, but just got accepted into their preschool program that will meet three times a week starting this fall. He’s currently taking karate and swim lessons, too. When did my lil’ guy get so big?